Thursday, November 24, 2011

This is Home Truly

A seasonal phenomenon that happens every exam period.

There were news recently about the space crunch in SMU study benches. Heard from the provost that Utown is packed and there are many other non-NUS students using the areas too. Wanted to find a place in Central Forum for project discussion but all the tables were occupied. Friend is ranting in FB about how he has to go to school library early to secure a seat before it fills up.

I can't really tell the proportion but it seems that more students prefer to study outside than at home. I must be one of the minority who prefers (and insists) to study at home. Unless I've no choice but to stay in school for hours waiting for the next lesson/activity to start, I would always choose to return home and mug. Somehow I feel that my mugging efficiency drops when I study outside. (Maybe it's not the case, it's just psychological.)


Reasons why I don't study outside:
- Easily distracted by surroundings. There are people talking, making noise, walking around etc.
- Dirtiness. The good thing is most NUS benches are quite well maintained. Most tables I come across look clean. However the same can't be said 'elsewhere'. Imagine a bird poo/lizard shit staring at you studying.
- Discomfort. Seats are usually hard and stiff. It's hard to rest and relax at times.
- Lack of information access. If you bring along your laptop, smart phone, all the relevant notes and textbooks with you, it should be fine. The problem comes when you wish to lighten your load, forget to bring certain stuff, laptop battery goes flat with no available electrical socket nearby, etc.


Reasons why I study at home:
(Basically it's the opposite of what I've mentioned above...)
- Quiet environment. No strangers to distract me. Some people might be distracted by their family members but my family is more of the quiet-type hehe.
- Comfort. Where can be more comfortable than your own home? This is the best aspect a home can offer, but some people see it as a downside, when it comes to forcing yourself to study. The bed must be the prime culprit.
- FOC. I don't have to buy drinks to occupy a seat in Starbucks or Mac. If I'm thirsty or hungry, the kitchen is within my reach. No need to spend time and money on transport.
- Privacy. Unlike outside, if I want to use the toilet, I don't have to worry about leaving my stuff alone. Laptop won't get stolen and notes won't get blown away. I can stretch my body freely, make some noise (of accomplishment), adopt an unglam posture without scrutiny by others.

I think most people study outside because their homes cannot provide a conducive studying environment, not because they really want to study outside with a bunch of strangers. Does this mean that people who study well at home are more disciplined because they can resist the temptations from all the comfort available at home? Or are they just lazy to travel out of home?

Whatever the case, we should be thanked for not adding on to the space crunch or causing convenience to genuine patrons to cafes and fast food outlets. Hehe.

No comments: