Tuesday, November 08, 2011

关起来!

Realised it has been a long time since I came across this phrase.

From Straits Times Forum, 4 Nov 2011
Teachers should stop saying 'shut up' to pupils


WHEN I was a pupil more than 30 years ago, it was common for teachers to tell their classes to 'shut up' when they wanted to quieten us. Because it was a routine admonishment, it took me many years before I realised it was impolite.


So when I started work as a polytechnic lecturer a few years ago, it was 'please be quiet' instead. To be sure, the phrase was less effective but far more sensible than the alternative.


But I was dismayed when my son, a Primary 1 pupil, told me that his teacher frequently resorted to telling the class to 'shut up' when the pupils spoke too loudly. How can a teacher impart the values of proper behaviour when she is unaware of her own behaviour?


I am certain Primary 1 pupils understand the meaning of the more polite reminder to 'please be quiet', or the gesture of putting a finger to the lips.


If the noise persists, there must be other ways to instil order. Consider this example by an American teacher who uses a jar of marbles to correct misbehaviour or reward proper behaviour.


She takes out a marble when the class misbehaves and puts one in when pupils behave well. When the jar is filled, each pupil receives a reward like ice cream.


Surely, primary school teachers can craft equally creative ways to instil class discipline.


Education Minister Heng Swee Keat recently announced a policy focusing on character building and positive values in teaching.


I hope all teachers, starting from those in Primary 1, can take the first step by banning 'shut up' from their vocabulary in school.


Alicia Hock (Madam)

---

I guess the consciousness that 'shut up' is not a very nice thing to say has led people to use alternative less-rude commands such as 'keep quiet' or simply 'shhhh'.

'Shut up' hasn't been used by teachers and instructors in higher institutions since my secondary school days. They were occasionally used by student leaders to show their frustration towards inattentive group of students, and between classmates to express their intolerance towards 'lesson-disruptors' and busybodies. Compared to the more widely used vulgarities, I think 'shut up' is relatively mild, and will not arouse much displeasure and anger among people.

Even during NS, notorious for the indiscriminate use of vulgarities and hurting remarks, 'shut up' is hardly used, at least from my personal experience. Even if I'm faced with a group of noisy brats, the first utterance that comes to my mind would be 'keep quiet'.

I can't remember clearly how often 'shut up' was uttered by teachers during my primary school or kindergarten days. But surely, such command was indeed being used.

Whether such commands are effective in quieting down a hyperactive crowd is another story. Rather than the choice of words, I think the loudness of the commanding voice is a more important factor, especially towards kids who are still oblivious towards the connotation of 'shut up'. Of course saying 'shut up' instead of 'keep quiet' to adults will have a much greater impact.

As kids grow up, it is necessary for them to recognise the right situation to use 'shut up'. We probably don't remember how we did it through the process. It just comes naturally as part of social-learning, as we interact more with people around us.

If that is the case, does it matter if teachers use 'shut up' to primary school students?

No comments: